IT landscape for a business unit under a Fortune-100 company was outdated and needed to be revamped.
As part of revamping process, a new enterprise landscape was created, most places from scratch, and at other places re-using and standardising the existing tools/technologies used in other business units. This multi-year, 300+ people program had a 10+ people architecture team, in which our architects played a very significant part in defining the new enterprise landscape.
As part of the architecture consultancy, our architecture consultancy team was involved in
- Detailed study of existing landscape. The existing landscape was huge and varied, and our team supported in the detailed study of the existing landscape to understand then-existing landscape.
- Cataloguing of re-usable components
- Standardising services across the whole enterprise. This included support in introduction of a Service Gateway across the enterprise which provided a common auditing, monitoring and versioning system
- Fine grained decisions on individual areas. In each of the areas, the team provided in depth architecture support – for example, in Web, the decisions on the packages to use, the code structure, coding strategies and deployment support was all provided by the architecture team.
- Supervised the whole program to a successful implementation
Build a custom web based end to end reporting system along with 50 odd predefined reports was developed within three months and under one man-year.
The predefined reports were created for a system having more than 3000 tables and around a million rows per day in some of the tables. The stringent time-frame was not making life easier!
The short development time frame belies the immense complexity of the application, which had every capability expected of a new age system, with user defined dashboards, cross-tabs, tables, charts, exporting options (PDF or Excel), notifications, insights and scheduled reports, each feature modifiable from the web interface.
Using this reporting framework, the user can modify an existing report, to change the order and filter parameters of each of the columns, add aggregation columns and rows, add any number of charts linked with this report and send this updated report to another user of this system. Additionally, the admin could decide what to show and to hide based on user, role, accounts or other features for any fine grained report, column and row level.